Word documents, including blank documents that use the Normal template, are associated with a template. If you choose the wrong template or suddenly desire to change or reassign a document’s template, follow these steps:
- Open the document that needs a new template attached.
- Click the “File tab”.
- On the File screen, choose the “Options” command.
- The “Word Options” dialog box appears.
- Choose “Add-Ins” from the left side of the “Word Options” dialog box.
- Choose “Templates” from the Manage drop-down list.
You’ll find the Manage drop-down list near the bottom of the dialog box.
- Click the [Go] button.
- The “Templates and Add-ins” dialog box appears.
You should see which template is attached to the document, such as Normal.
- Click the [Attach] button.
- Word displays the “Attach Template” dialog box, which looks and works like
the Open dialog box.
- Navigate to the template you want to attach.
The templates listed are stored on your computer, so you don’t see the full range
of templates that you would find on the new screen.
- Click the [Open] button. The template is attached to your document.
- Ensure that the option “Automatically Update Document Styles” is ticked.
Updating styles means that your document’s current styles
are changed to reflect those of the new template, which is probably what you want.
- Click [OK].