Wi-Fi

The new Vodafone Broadband Contents Control

Posted on Updated on

I was, sooooo, getting fed-up with the restrictions imposed on me by my new Broadband Service Provider (Vodafone), I couldn’t even check out the “Nord VPN” site, nor follow many links from PC-information sites that I need to follow for information purposes to pass on to the U3A computer group MK.

Vodafone has finally made it easy to change their “security settings”.

  1. Sign-in to your Account Summary
  2. Hit the [Manage content controls] button to the right of Broadband
  3. This takes you to “Content Controls”
  4. Search for and click on “Content Control Profile” or
    click on the [Manage Content control profile] button.
  5. In your “Content Control Profile” you can choose which types of content you want to block. Choose between our Safe, Super safe or Ultra safe profiles, or create your own customised profile.
    1. Safe – Blocks Malicious sites
    2. Super safe – Blocks all content categories apart from Sex Education, Social Networks and Games
    3. Ultra-safe – Blocks all content categories
    4. Custom – Enables you to choose the content categories you want to block
    5. Turn off – Switch off all categories to give you access to all types of content
  6. Once you have made your choice just click on the [Save] button.

I can now access all the sites I want to, and at the end of my investigation, I can reset my safety level to what I think is needed.

.

My Chromecast Saga

Posted on

For once the “Getting started” documentation was clear and correct.

I plugged the Chromecast #1 (upstairs) into my TV via HDMI; then I had to go online on my smartphone to do the “Setup”, this involved downloading and installing “Google Home” this was so beautifully easy. Before the Chromecast could be used it needed to update its software. I was prompted to link it to my router; and after that, it didn’t take long before it was up and running.

While I was at it I also installed “Google Home” on my live smartphone (Samsung S4) and on my tablet (Samsung Tab 4), great, the Chromecast can now be controlled by any of the 3 gadgets.

I then wanted to install another Chromecast #2 downstairs.
It hooked up ok, but the update just looped – it stayed on 0% for hours on end until I “x’ed” the upgrade. Thinking about it decided that maybe the “Google Home” apps needed to be re-installed, so I uninstalled “Google Home”, cleared the cache and data in “Play Store” – but alas – my Wi-Fi network is now refusing to let me install anything from “Google Play Store”. It was a faulty “Chromecast” and it has been returned and refunded.

It was not my applications/gadgets that were faulty; because when I went to my neighbour and use their Wi-Fi to download from “Play Store” it worked fine. It took about 3 weeks before my Wi-Fi was working correctly again.